Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Vacation Dilemma.


8 days and 7 nights! Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas! What could possibly be wrong with this? Coming from Wisconsin after a long and cold Winter, the warm ocean breeze and sun couldn't come at a better time? Right?

Ok, I will admit that I love cruises and love being with my family even more. This year, however, I will be in the middle of my Ironman training and just 4 weeks from my 1st 1/2 Ironman race in California. In the past I would have panicked. As I promised all of you, I would use IronWidow to help me all year. This is one of those occasions. Instead of panicking, I just added the cruise to my listing of races, and important dates for 2007.

I will try and sneak in a few early AM runs (have you ever run on a treadmill on a cruise ship. Very interesting to say the least!). I will also ask my coach to help me use this week as a "low" or semi-recovery week. Either way, I made the commitment to IronWidow and I will keep that.

Someone once asked if I combine races and vacation? That is really a entire new post - but for me that answer is NO, NO, NO! And you?

Stu is making progress this year already - don't you think? Are you proud of me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stu,
The cruise ship thing is a cinch! When you get onboard there should be a sign on the prom deck telling you how many times you have to run the deck to equal a mile. Early in the morning before the rest of the ship gets up get out and run, nothing beats it. The treadmills at least are usually placed over the bridge area so you get a good view !!! I can speak from experience as I worked on ships for 2 years and on every size of ship (sometimes 14 circuits was a mile, on others it was 3!!). If you get an early run in you will be ready to enjoy breakfast and a family day! BTW thanks for putting in the picture of my TNT event
TNT Victoria

Anonymous said...

Stu:
I took a cruise last year w/my wife (5 day to the Cayman Islands) and returned 5 days before a sprint.

I was very happy w/the ammenities on-board. I took a spin class, ran on the treadmill, and hit the stat bike. I didn't run around the deck, as it looked pretty treacherous around the bow area...and I didn't want to fall if the ship moved or something.

The hardest part was the diet...too much good-looking food...and I wanted to maintain my weight. They have lots of choices...if you want to eat healthy. I ended up losing 2lbs!

The race was fine, I felt prepared, and won my age group.

I say have a good time.